The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Exhaust heat sheild question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need a new heat sheild that goes between the muffler and the engine as mine is falling apart. Mines some kind of fiber material, but looking on the internet you can get them in aluminium now. Are the aluminium ones better?
that's asbestos.

I'd replace it with aluminium, yes Smile

hervey sells em.
I'll make one at work in that case, we have sheets in stores. What thickness are they normaly, about 3mm? Hmmm when i had my silencer off to do the cat bypass pipe the other day bits broke off and made dust Shock :?
you have resources - cool Smile

your exposure wouldn't have been much.

my cat heat shield fell apart when i removed the cat - four or five pieces of it scattered on my garage floor. I doubt we're going to become ill.
Smile
Dave Howarth sell some that are a (non-asbestos) heat resistant material sandwiched between two thin sheets of stainless steel, they are about 8mm thick.

There are three main type of asbestos: White, Brown and Blue
Blue is the most evil and was sprayed on to pipes and structural elements to protect against fire. Brown is next on the list and was mainly used as a friction material for things like brake pads and clutch linings. White asbestos is the least harmful and was (is) used for formed components such as corrugated roofing, cladding, guttering and heat proofing including the heat shields on the exhaust, cat, and starter motor.
Hi Guy's,

Are Cat Heatshields available? Everyone I've spoken to are out of stock.
(DMCH, PJ Grady's UK and USA, Delorean one and Ed)

That's the bowl shaped shield by the Cat and engine number plate, not the flat plate sheild between exhaust box and engine, I'm after.

Best Regards
D
Hi Guy's,

That's the bowl shaped shield by the Cat and engine number plate, not the flat plate sheild between exhaust box and engine, I'm after.

Best Regards
D

NickT

Darren C Wrote:Hi Guy's,

Best Regards
D

Are you keeping the car super original Darren? A lot of people replace the cat with a bypass pipe.

NickT
Super Original, so the Cat's staying.

Just as JZD intended. Big Grin

Best Regards
D

bozzzydmc

You could hollow the CAT out ... or at least check its condition inside matey ?
Quote:Just as JZD intended. Big Grin

Best Regards
D
This could start quite an interesting discussion...

JZD had to do certain 'things' with the car like fit silly tall springs on the front to quick provide a solution to raising the front bumper to the minimum legal ride height in the US at the time. He didn't do that by choice as it comprises the looks and the handling. I expect he also wouldn't have fitted all the emissions equipment to the car throttling an easily achievable 170BHP down to a poor 130BHP if not for the strict US emissions legislations in place.

I can see why some owners want their car to be a true 'time machine' in the sense that it looks like it has just driven out of the Dunmurry factory but imagine a DeLorean that JZD would have created at the time without these 'specific restrictions'. I wonder how many more 'compromises' were put in place to satisfy 'government rulings' there are that we can think of?

vin5255 sits proudly on the springs the car should have always had (euro springs) and still shows an unchanged binnacle based LAMDA indicator (to retain originality) although besides coming on every 30k miles it no longer has any other function to perform... :wink:

bozzzydmc

Thanks Mike.

Trouble is I'm Mr Picky from Pickyville, with a Masters in being picky :lol:

The "New" Shield for the Cat is Orange. Shock
(would go nice with yellow spax shocks). :lol: :lol:
Ok if your Dale Winton, but I'll carry on looking for a new old stock in Silver Grey.

Anyone else seen one for sale recently?

Best regards
D
Hi Chris,

The Cat argument could be quite interesting. The way I see it, is that JZD wanted a sports car for the future. As ALL new petrol cars now have Catalytic Converters some 30 years later, he got it right. Big Grin

As it was an excepted legal requirement for the US market at the time of production, I find it hard to defend any argument that JZD wanted to do away with the Cat.

As for restricting performance, time has shown that you can design that out of the equation in other ways and keep the Cat.

Best Regards
D
need heat shield then go to your local building supplies and ask for 1.2mtrs of under-cloaking about £1 not that im tight TT