The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: hi all i need a wiring expert
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi all i didn't know if there is a wiring expert in the club that could give me some advice on a wiring problem.
last week my delorean begain to make like a ticking or clicking noise under the steering wheel somewhere i thought it was the lamda counter but it wasn't, instead when i wiggle the wires that come away from the cut off swicth next to the lamda counter it seems to be makeing a sort of electrical clicking noise in side i little box where a load of wires go into (sorry i don't know the tec word abit fick)anyway could anyone please advise me what it could be
cheers all tyson

ps oh it only dose it when the key has been turned on , not when the engine is off
You mean the inertia switch?

Power only runs throught the inertia switch when the ignition is on, and the fuel pump is running. If you have dirty contacts inside the noise you are hearing could be arcing contacts...?
hi richard yes i think thats just what it sounds like ,so are you saying then all i need to do is clean it up and it will be ok or should i take it to a motor sparkey and is it a bit naughty to leave it could it cause a electric fire?????
cheers for your help tyson
I would sort it out mate.... (though I am not an expert on wiring)

Disconnect your battery's negative terminal, and remove the inertia switch from the car. Take it apart and see what's up with it... hopefully it's just a matter of cleaning, if not, you may need to buy a replacement, or simily hardwire the wires that used to connect to the switch (but you loose the function of fuel pump cutting if your car (Touchwood!) turns upside down).

Hope this helps. :wink:
cheers john thanks for the tips i will try that tonight
thanks tyson
P.S. But it's always good to have a decent size fire extinguisher in the D.... I happened to came across a sitituation that I needed to use it (which i never though i would!)

It also acts as a very good tool to escape from the car (as a hammer) in case of an accident with blocked exit from the doors.
now that is a good idea that is one thing that scairs the life out of me being trapped upside down and no way out
A bit off Topic now... but talking about "escape planning" I have also disconnected the central locking in my D... a seatbelt cutter in the glove box and I have a kill switch that I could reach from my driving position....

I might be over the top, but it's always better safe than sorry :wink: