The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Headlamps: I have a leak
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello my Delorean chums

On operation of the dip headlights (that's two pushes of the dip headlight switch on the centre console) I get the dip (as it should be) AND, for some reason, a dim light coming from the H1 inners also a light from the main beam telltale (blue bulb - instrument panel).

The power isn't coming from the main beam relay because I've tested it by removing the relay an operating the dip beams - i have the same result.

the power might be coming from the dip beam circuit - but where?

I suppose i should test to see whether I'm getting power to the inners by test removing the outer bulbs or the telltale on the panel...didn't think of that.

any ideas?

Dave.
is this after you have wired the fog warning light to the lamda light?
if not check the earth of the dipped head lights Smile
haven't touched the fog light yet.

thanks - I'll check that Smile

NickT

Did you change the wiring in the socket to make the lamps compatible with H4 bulbs? If not then the earth path will be through other lamps filament.

I have a couple of converters that were given to me but I'd already re-wired the lamps (not using Scotchlocks!)

NickT
well that was my initial though either that it was leaking back through the bulb itself or through the telltale bulb.

what did the convertors consist of? so i can understand whay they're doing Smile

I could remove the blue/white wire from the back of the conector on the H4 bulb, but that' leav me with no main beam outer.
i could stick a couple of fat diodes in there i suppose...

NickT

Or wire it correctly Smile

NickT
sorted. so there.

I'm off now to get my electrical engineering degree off ebay.

see you in the morning my delorean chums. :lol:

NickT

Nice one Smile

I just dug out the converters from the garage this morning tel tell you which wires to swap !

Well done Barson B.Sc Smile

NickT