The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Voltage problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it normal that the voltage (when the car is running) to reach up to 15 volts when I rev the car to approx 3000 - 4000 rpm??

Previously the alternator gave out some smoke when I parked for photoshoot with all the headlights on for over half an hour with the engine off (i guess it's the voltage regulator that gave out the smoke)... and I killed the battery. After 15 mins it cooled down, and I started driving and it seems normal again.

But I forgot whether the voltage reaches up to 15 volts before it happened, so please could those of you who know give me an answer to this... since I am worried the "over voltage"could kill many electricial things in the car...
15 Volts is not good. If it keeps charging like that it could over charge the battery and that could boil over and spill hot battery acid all over the place Shock

It sounds like the regulator maybe faulty. First check the voltage at the battery with a multi-meter if you have one just to check it really is 15 Volts. If it is then you need to get the alternator looked at.

Dan
Thanks for the tip Dan!

I have confirmed that the voltage on the dash is reading correctly. I also measured at the alternator and it gives 13.2V at idle, and gives 15.4V at 300rpm.....

Ordered a new regulator, will see if that helps.

Cheers!
John
sorry, i mean 3000 rpm :lol:

NickT

John, didn't you just replace the voltage regulator in this alternator?

It might be worthwhile taking the alternator to a reconditioners place to load test it and/or check that you have no other problems like open/ short circuit/ leaky diodes etc.

NickT
Nick's right,

Theres normally a reason the regulators fail. I'd get the whole thing checked out mate.

Dan
NickT Wrote:John, didn't you just replace the voltage regulator in this alternator?

It might be worthwhile taking the alternator to a reconditioners place to load test it and/or check that you have no other problems like open/ short circuit/ leaky diodes etc.

NickT

Hi Nick,

I took the whole alternator to the workshop last time to have the alternator checked and regulator replaced.

They said there isn't any problem in the alternator itself, but the regulator need replacing. So a new one is put back in.

But I realise the box that the replacement regulator comes in is very old and mucky... and I also checked that the regulator that is replaced is identical part number to the one that is faulty.... it should have been replaced by a newer batch with a different part number and the older one has been discontinued for years..... I guess they have put in a old stock regulator that they have always wanted to clear out!!!!

So this time I have ordered a new regulator from an auto part shop (the new batch that is still in production) and will see if problem still occurs....

Otherwise, I got no where else to get the alternator checked... there's very few alternator workshops over here! Cry

If problem still occurs, I will just buy a new alternator from specialTauto... solve the problem once and for all....

NickT

Good luck with it.

NickT